Clean the primary element when the engine has a loss of power or when the exhaust smoke is black.
Personal injury or death can result if spilled fuel ignites. Fuel leaked or spilled onto hot surfaces or electrical components can cause a fire.
To help prevent possible injury, turn the battery disconnect switch to the OFF position when changing fuel filters or water separator elements. Clean up fuel spills immediately.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "AVSpare Tools and Shop Products Guide" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on AVSpare products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Do not fill fuel filters with fuel before installing them. The fuel will not be filtered and could be contaminated. Contaminated fuel will cause accelerated wear to fuel system parts. The fuel system should be primed prior to starting the engine.
- Remove the fuel filter assembly from the base with a strap-type wrench.
- Remove the water separator bowl and seal from the filter element and discard the used filter. Inspect the seal. If the seal is damaged, use a new one.
- Clean the filter mounting base. Be sure all of the old seal is removed.
- Wash the water separator bowl in clean, nonflammable solvent.
- Lubricate the seals of a new filter with clean diesel fuel.
- Install the seal and the water separator bowl on the new primary filter element.
- Install the filter assembly by hand. When the seal contacts the base, tighten 3/4 of a turn more.
Note: There are rotation index marks on each filter, spaced 90 degrees (1/4 turn) apart. Use these marks as a guide when tightening the filter.
- Prime the fuel system.
Reference: For information on priming the fuel system, refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Fuel System - Prime" for the machine that is being serviced.
- Start the engine and inspect the filter for leaks. Make any necessary repairs. If the engine has a loss of power or the exhaust smoke is still black, replace the secondary filter.
Reference: For information on replacing the secondary fuel filter, refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Fuel System Secondary Filter - Replace" for the machine that is being serviced.