- Get on the machine only at locations that are equipped with steps and/or handholds. Get off the machine only at locations that are equipped with steps and/or handholds.
- Before you get on the machine, clean the steps and the handholds. Inspect the stairs and the handholds. Make all necessary repairs.
- Face the machine whenever you get on the machine and whenever you get off the machine.
- Maintain a three-point contact with the steps and handholds.
Note: Three-point contact can be two feet and one hand. Three-point contact can also be one foot and two hands.
- Do not get on a moving machine. Do not get off a moving machine.
- Never jump off the machine.
- Do not try to get on the machine if you are carrying tools or supplies. Do not try to get off the machine if you are carrying tools or supplies. Use a hand line to pull equipment onto the platform.
- Do not use any controls as handholds when you enter the operator's compartment or when you exit the operator's compartment.
Machines that are equipped with cabs have alternate exits. For additional information, see Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Alternate Exit".