Run the engine in order to warm up the oil. Stop the engine before you drain the oil. When the oil is warm the waste particles are suspended in the oil. The waste particles will be removed when the oil is drained.
As the oil cools, the waste particles settle to the bottom of the oil pan. The waste particles will not be removed if the oil is too cool.
The waste particles can recirculate through the engine lubrication system if the recommended procedure is not followed.
- Open the engine compartment. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Access Doors and Covers".
Illustration 1 g01414625
- Place a suitable container under the drain hose. The drain hose is located below the front frame. Open the drain valve (1) which is located on the engine oil pan.
- Allow the oil to completely drain.
- Close the drain valve (1).
Illustration 2 g01414626
- Remove filter element (4). Discard the used filter element.
- Clean the filter housing base. Make sure that all of the old filter seal is removed from the filter housing base.
- Apply a thin coat of engine oil to the seal of the new filter. Install a new engine oil filter hand tight until the seal of the engine oil filter contacts the base. Note the position of the index marks on the filter in relation to a fixed point on the filter base.
Note: There are rotation index marks on the engine oil filter that are spaced 90 degrees or 1/4 of a turn away from each other. When you tighten the engine oil filter, use the rotation index marks as a guide.
- Tighten the filter according to the instructions that are printed on the filter. Use the index marks as a guide. For non-AVSpare filters, use the instructions that are provided with the filter.
Note: You may need to use a AVSpare strap wrench, or another suitable tool, in order to turn the filter to the amount that is required for final installation. Make sure that the installation tool does not damage the filter.
- Remove the oil filler cap (2). Fill the crankcase with new oil. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Capacities (Refill)". See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Lubricant Viscosities". Clean the oil filler cap and install the oil filler cap.
Illustration 3 g00857506
- Before you start the engine, check the oil level on the dipstick (3). The oil level must be within the FULL RANGE on the dipstick.
- Start the engine. Run the engine for two minutes. Inspect the machine for leaks. Stop the machine.
- Wait for ten minutes in order to allow the oil to drain back into the crankcase. Check the oil level. Maintain the oil level within the FULL RANGE on the dipstick.
- Close the engine compartment.